Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Villette Read-a-Long

I have been remiss in announcing I'm participating in a read-a-long hosted by Wallace over at Unputdownables.  We're reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte.  I adored Jane Eyre and don't read nearly enough classics so I was excited by the prospect of a little more Bronte in my life.  To give you a quick background, here's a synopsis:

Arguably Brontë's most refined and deeply felt work, Villette draws on her profound loneliness following the deaths of her three siblings. Lucy Snowe, the narrator of Villette, flees from an unhappy past in England to begin a new life as a teacher at a French boarding school in the great cosmopolitan capital of Villette. Soon Lucy's struggle for independence is overshadowed by both her friendship with a worldly English doctor and her feelings for an autocratic schoolmaster. Brontë's strikingly modern heroine must decide if there is any man in her society with whom she can live and still be free.

I love the modern notion of looking for love while still remaining independent and can't wait to get further in this story.  I'll be blogging about my progress over the next two month and urge you guys to read along with me. (Sorry, I've given you such little notice, but don't worry there's plenty of time to catch up!)


Here's the reading schedule:

Week #/ dates :: Chapters to Read
Week One/ February 1st-7th :: ch. 1-5 (i.e. read chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5)
Week Two/ February 8th-14th :: ch. 6-11
Week Three/ February 15th-21st :: ch. 12-17
Week Four/ February 22nd-28th :: ch. 18-22
Week Five/ March 1st-March 7th :: ch. 23-27
Week Six/ March 8th-March 14th :: ch. 28-32
Week Seven/ March 15th-March 21st :: ch. 33-37
Week Eight/ March 22-March 28th :: ch. 38-42

There are lots of other blogs participating so be sure to check out Unputdownables to see everyone else's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment