Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday--Janelle

Just One Taste by Louisa Edwards
Release Date: August 31, 2010

Courtesy of Goodreads: Bad-boy chef Wes Murphy is dreading his final-semester cooking class, Food Chemistry 101, until he meets the new substitute teacher. Dr. Rosemary Wilkins is a feast for the eyes, though her approach to food is strictly academic. So Wes decides to rattle her Bunsen burner by asking for her hands-on advice on aphrodisiacs.…

Rosemary is a little wary about working with Wes, whose casual flirtations make her hot under the collar. But once they begin testing the love-enhancing power of chocolate, oysters, and strawberries, it becomes scientifically evident that the brainy science nerd and the boyish chef have some major chemistry together and it’s delicious…
.

 I know, I know...how cheesy is that description?? "Rattle her Bunsen burner"? Give me a break.

With that being said, I love romance novels more than I should. WAY more than I should. I've got a few hundred stashed back at my parents' house from when I was young and Harlequin was my crack. (Seriously. My favorite? Plain Jane Gets Her Man. I adored that book when I was in my junior year. I'm not proud.)

I first discovered Louisa Edwards when, on a whim, I picked up Can't Stand the Heat. I finished it in two hours. It was a easy, flirty, sexy read. The characters were realistic, there were no over the top romantic gestures (I mean, he didn't lay her down in a field of grass and worship her...and thank God, because what's sexy about THAT? All I can think is insects. Dirt and insects.). I was completely engrossed.

The icing on the cake. The attention to food. Can't Stand the Heat and her second book, On the Steamy Side, are both set in kitchens and involve chefs but Edwards knows what she's talking about. She gives just as much attention to the preparation of food and the inner workings of a restaurant as she does to the romance itself. That's awesome.

So, despite the cheesy description, I am eagerly anticipating her third book. I look forward to swooning hungrily.

*Waiting on Wednesday is an ingenious idea hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment