Thursday, October 21, 2010

Favorite Places to Read--1990 Aerostar Van, Utica NY to Las Vegas, NV

I have nothing to review. Nothing. I'm uninspired. Blah.

So, while reading the first excerpt from the new Sweet Valley Confidential, I started thinking about where I was when I first discovered the Wakefield twins. It was here:

 Or more specifically, here:


I'm a military brat and my dad's next assignment was in Las Vegas, NV. So he packed my mom, my brother, my sister and myself into a 1990 Ford Aerostar van and drove from Utica, NY to Las Vegas. It took days. DAYS!

Still, that was the best move we experienced (for 4 years later we made that drive back...NOT fun.). My dad bought us each a Nintendo Game Boy (which was a treat because money was TIGHT), my sister and I some books and we started on our way.

I curled up in that backseat and discovered Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield when they were 12 and attending Sweet Valley Middle School. I was 10 at the time and was in awe of their blond hair and blue-green eyes (Um, I've now come to realize that it's an impossibility) and their life in Sweet Valley. I wanted to live near the beach and swim and play with Lila & co.

It was during that same drive that I discovered Harlequin Superromance novels. My mother used to receive them in the mail every month like clockwork. She had no idea what they were so she would hand them off (she was a bit horrified to discover what we were reading later! Sorry, Mom!) and we never actually opened the first box until that drive. 

Um, talk about the birds and the bees!

Still, even after we arrived and settled in Las Vegas, I still would go and sit in the backseat and read. My tastes may have changed, leaned towards something a bit older (ha! like Sweet Valley High and Harlequin Blaze) but I still always found comfort in that van. Hands down, still remains one of my favorite reading places...even if my Dad made me suffer by driving it ten years later. :)

Do you have a favorite reading spot? Somewhere you like reading as a child? Dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment