Monday, February 28, 2011

Review — Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Summary (via Goodreads): Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


Review:  Oh, Sophie.  I'd forgotten how much I loved your snarky, sarcastic way.  I will admit when I heard that Sophie and company were spending a summer in London I thought, "ugh, an entire book of 'What I Did On My Summer Vacation?  Lame.  Hex Hall, I thought you were better than this."  Oh, how wrong I was.  Rachel Hawkins took something that could have easily been a fun series about supernatural creatures in reform school and completely pulled the rug out from under us, making the reader question everything they've come to learn about the Hex Hall world.

Before I get to all the craziness that had me practically yelling at my book to stop it and just go back to Hecate Hall where everything would go back to normal, let's address the love triangle.  I've gotten pretty sick of love triangles, but I have to say I'm just as torn as Sophie.  Throughout the first half of the book I'm completely "TEAM CAL!  Woohoo!" but then Archer shows up and is all sarcastic and there's a lot of sexy banter and I become more "Team Cal?  Right?  We're Team Cal here...I think..." (I, actually, am totally Team Cal, but I think it's more of Team Cal For Erin because he's impossibly cute and stoic and I may want to have his babies)  However, there is some crazy/good chemistry between Archer and Sophie that's just impossible to deny.  Though, I will say, I wanted to shake Sophie a few times.  Note for the future, Soph, do not tell your ex-crush/kissing buddy exactly where you are hiding out from his brethren that want you dead! 

Also, I know you're in love with him but don't just go on some portal-hopping adventure without a second thought.  I didn't totally understand Archer's motives with Sophie in terms of helping her investigate whoever's creating demons, but I found myself brushing past it as they distracted me with their snarky, sexy banter.

Besides my love for sweet, dependable Cal, I know I'm getting old because I found it pretty heartbreaking the way Sophie's dad was still hung up on Sophie's mom.  I think it would have even worked better if he didn't come out and say it later in the book because his quiet pining pretty much made me swoon when they interacted early in the story.

The love triangle smartly takes a backseat to all the craziness that's happening between The Eye and the Prodigium.  The war is escalating between the two and turning deadly.  I was surprised at the gravity that came with the second in this fun series.  While Sophie keeps her quick, biting wit, there's no denying that things are no longer carefree and fun.  Hawkins throws some surprising twists into the story that have completely turned Sophie's world upside-down for me.  Plus, as I found out, much to my dismay, Demonglass ends on a CRAZY DRAMATIC CLIFFHANGER.  I had an ARC copy and kept thinking I was missing pages at the end, but, no, Rachel Hawkins clearly wants us to suffer because we have to wait until Hex Hall #3 to get any sort of closure, which, in my mind, is evil.


Lit Snit Verdict: A

No comments:

Post a Comment