Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Book Blogger Appreciation Week — Unexpected Treasure


Today for Book Blogger Appreciation Week we were invited to share a book or genre we tried due to the influence of another blogger. 

Erin's Unexpected Treasure:

There are a lot of books that I try based on others reviews.  I originally loathed the title to If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend, but Emily's love of the book got me to give it a try and I adored it.  Similarly, Daniela recently reviewed Rachel Caine's Glass Houses, the first in the Morganville Vampire series, a book I had tried and didn't like from the first few pages, but ended up devouring it and the second in the series in one weekend.

One review that sticks out in my mind is Jody's (of With a Good Book) review of The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, a book that you may know from my interview at Laura's site, I'm Booking It, is one of my favorites this year.  It was just a beautiful book of loss and finding first love and discovering who you are.  I had the ARC on my shelf for weeks not thinking much about it because I wasn't too inspired by the cover, but after reading Jody's review I decided to give it a try and the rest, as they say, is history.  I simply can't say enough good things about this book and practically forced it on Janelle and Daniela. 

Daniela's Unexpected Treasure: 

My category is Nonfiction. I actually enjoy reading nonfiction books quite a bit, but I have been shying away from reading any because I think they are so hard to review. Nonfiction is just very tricky, and I often find that I have more questions than reactions or conclusions when reading within that genre. Because of this, I’m full of admiration for book bloggers who are undaunted by the prospect of reading and reviewing nonfiction works. One of my favorites would have to be Jenny, who blogs over at Jenny’s Books. Her reads are quite eclectic and she dabbles with nonfiction from time to time. All her reviews (in any genre) are very interesting and well written, but I’m especially appreciative of the great job she does with nonfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment