Saturday, October 16, 2010

Casting Call Friday: A Minor Rant

Today's casting call is going to discuss One Day by David Nicholls....
I know what you're thinking!
*ahem*
Janelle, you're cheating! This book has already been reviewed. It's already being turned into a movie. We've already discussed it's two cast members--Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess--so you can't cast a book that's already cast!
You're right. It has been cast. HOWEVER, I just re-read it and I'm a bit bothered!

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the foxy Jim Sturgess:


I'm not one to argue with beauty. Or talent for that matter. Sturgess has great range, with performances in films such as Across the Universe,  The Other Boleyn Girl and 21. There's no doubt in my mind he will make a fantastic Dexter. I think he'll successfully capture Dexter's arrogance, his insecurity, his charisma. I think he'll convincingly showcase Dexter coming of age. Um, and he's also a Brit. So this? This makes me happy. 

It's this part that disturbs me:


Anne Hathaway as Emma?? REALLY??

I'm not hating on Anne Hathaway. Not at all. I think she's done some really great work. I liked The Devil Wears Prada. I'm  really interested in seeing her in her upcoming film with Jake Gyllenhaal, Love and Other Drugs and she was FANTASTIC in Shakespeare in the Park's Twelfth Night. So, no, I don't dislike her. 

My problem is this...there are several other actresses, BRITISH actresses, that could do this role justice. We could state the obvious and go with Emily Blunt. I think she'd make an amazing Emma. I totally see her as Emma in the beginning of the novel, where she's rocking her red, asymmetrical hair cut and is disheveled. Her character is Sunshine Cleaning shares quite a few parallels to Emma's story. She possesses the snark, the sass, and the intelligence needed. Oh? and she's a Brit. 
If we were going to go American, why couldn't we have picked Michelle Williams?? Michelle Williams has consistently proven that she's a chameleon, from giving major vamp as Jen on Dawson's Creek to growing in roles like Alma Beers in Brokeback Mountain to eventually portraying Marilyn Monroe!

I understand, film powers that be, that you want a commercially viable actress but there are so many to choose from and I truly, truly believe that there are some serious powerhouse players that weren't considered. I just don't think that Anne Hathaway is a great fit. We need someone who can give us someone who is down in the trenches but makes her way up. Someone indie, someone edgy, someone slightly gritty but able to transform (and don't you dare show me The Princess Diaries). I just feel like this casting choice is way off base...

So there's my rant. Am I, in all of my whining, wrong? Do you see someone else as Emma? Are there any books-into-movies casts you've had problems with?



No comments:

Post a Comment